Frequently Asked Questions

What driving licence do I need to drive a hire motorhome?

All hire drivers require a full UK driving licence that is clean and been held for 2 years. 3 points in the last 5 years is acceptable. More than this will require a conversation with our insurers. We will ask you to send us your drivers licence details via the DVLA website.

Can anyone drive?

Yes, so long as they have had a full UK driving licence for 2 years and meet our insurance criteria (Aged 25 – 70). We need to know the names of all drivers and receive ID for each in advance of your trip. We also accept EU and non EU driving licences. Note that an increase in insurance excess applies to some non EU countries.

What age do I have to be to drive?

Drivers must be aged 25 to 70 years of age.

I’m over 70. Can I drive?

Yes if you hired from us before whilst you were under 70. If not then the cap is 70 years and 364 days old for drivers.

Can I add additional drivers?

Yes you may. We will require ID and have the same set of questions for them as for other drivers and they MUST sign and return the hire agreement too in order to be covered by our insurance. There is a daily cost for additional drivers. Please ask for details. No-one else may drive the motorhome without our prior permission. In the event of an emergency we can facilitate short notice additional drivers with insurers permission.

I don’t have driving Licence photo card

If you passed your driving test before 1997 it is possible that you only have a paper driving licence. This is still a valid form of ID. We just require a form of official photo ID too. This could be your passport. If you passed your test after 1997 your paper licence is no longer valid and you should apply for a photo card licence.

I have a Non UK Foreign driving licence

This is OK. We will need a copy plus an additional form of photo ID such as you passport and a form of address ID such as a utility bill.

What ID do you require?

We need the following for all drivers: Photo licence ID (Copy of paper licence if pre 1997 pass), Passport, Utility Bill, Online DVLA licence check for UK drivers.

What happens if I breakdown?

We provide comprehensive breakdown cover for the UK and Europe. This cover ensures that you have roadside repair and relay to a garage or can be brought home from anywhere in the UK or Europe.

What if I lose the keys?

Call us straight away! We will make sure you get replacement keys as soon as possible. There is a charge for lost keys.

What if I have an accident?

In the unfortunate event of an accident you should call us and we will discuss what to do next. We can recover the motorhome anywhere in Europe back to the UK. An accident will mean the loss, or a deduction, from your security deposit. You are only charged for the cost of the repair.

When I return the motorhome do we need to fill up with diesel?

Yes please. We give you the motorhome full with diesel and we ask you return it full. If you are unable to do this we make a charge for filling up and charge for the fuel.

I’ve never used a motorhome before. Do you run through how everything works?

Yes. We suggest you allow up to 90 minutes for the handover of the motorhome at our collection point. We run through all the controls features and facilities as well as take you for a quick test drive if required with one of our team. We provide detailed documentation on how everything works for easy reference during your holiday.

Can I leave my car with you during my hire?

You can and it’s free to do so. We ask that you leave your keys with us for the duration of the hire. Whilst we cannot accept any liability for damage or theft to or from your vehicle we will ensure it is parked safely.

Where do I collect the motorhome?

This will be established at time of booking and detailed on your hire agreement. We are in the process of opening a network of collection centres around the UK.

Are the speed limits the same as for a car?

There are different restrictions for vehicles weighing over 3500kg. Single carriageways you can travel up to 50mph, dual carriageways 60mph and motorways 70mph. Ask one of our team for more info.

Child seats – Do they fit?

Yes. Standard seatbelts are fitted in the rear with 3 point belts on forward facing seats and lap belts on rear facing seats. The 3 point belts tend to be longer to accommodate car seats. If fitting a rear facing car seat (baby seat) in the front then the passenger airbag should be disabled. This can be done in the vehicles computer or by the ignition key.

I have some points on my license is this a problem?

Not necessarily. Let us know the detail and we can advise. There are certain endorsements that our insurers will not cover – particularly drink driving.

I have a criminal record. Can I hire?

This is something we need you to disclose. We present the facts of any criminal record past or pending to the the insurers for consideration along with your driving history and current licence status. It is possible you will be able to hire and drive.

Can I take the motorhome abroad?

Yes you can. Please tell us when booking. There is a small charge per week, for insurance and breakdown cover in Europe. We DO need to know when you book so we can organise the EU cover and get your documentation prepared. Please note that Northern Ireland is considered outside the UK by our insurers.

What is the security deposit

On collection we charge £1000 to a debit or credit card. This is the insurance excess. It is refunded to you on safe return of the motorhome. In the event of any damage or loss we deduct the cost from your £1000 deposit. So, if you were to smash a wing mirror glass we would deduct only the cost of the replacement glass. You would not forfeit your entire £1000. Full terms and conditions apply and copy can be sent on request or at time of booking.

When do I get my security deposit back?

On safe return of the motorhome assuming all the contents are still in place and the vehicle is clean and undamaged then your deposit is returned within 48 hours. It may take a few days to arrive in your bank but we will email you once the deposit has been refunded.

Can I buy an insurance policy for the excess?

This is often referred to as a CDW or Collision Damage Waiver. You can purchase such a policy from a number of third party insurers. We are happy to offer details on request.

Is there a minimum hire period?

Yes it’s 3 days. If you only require the hire overnight the 3 day charge still applies. Our weekend rate is based on 3 days. Typically pick up Friday afternoon and return either Sunday afternoon, evening or before 10am on Monday. If you want to extend this period then additional day charges apply. In the summer during school holiday time we ask for a minimum of 7 days with collection on a Friday. However we do make exceptions for longer bookings of 10 days or more and we do allow shorter 3 day bookings etc to fill the gaps. These tend to be booked in from June when the gaps have appeared so if you are flexible and can book late then get in touch.

What time can I collect?

The collection (and return) time will be agreed with you on booking and detailed on your hire agreement. Collection is from 2pm and return by 11am.

Can I take a pet with me?

Yes in selected motorhomes. Talk to one of our team for more information

Where can I stop overnight?

In Scotland the right to roam exists entitling you to stop anywhere legal. However throughout England and Wales this is not the case and not recommended. Many lay-bys and car parks are privately owned or the parish council do not allow overnight stopping. Be sensible. Use your common sense. If it feels unsafe it probably is. We recommend using campsites in the UK or Aires on the continent. In France we do not recommend stopping in motorway service stations overnight.

What is the privilege club?

All our motorhomes are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club. This is known as the Privilege Scheme. It entitles the motorhome user to use any Club Site or Forest Holiday Site without the need to buy membership. Campsite pitch fees do still apply but at member rates which are often discounted. For full details of the offering from the scheme go to:

Where do I book my campsite?

There are lots of websites that facilitate this such as Or, just google the area and you will get lots of hits.

How do I reserve my pitch if I go off for the day?

This can often be a challenge when you return! Some people make a little sign or leave something of little value on the pitch indicating that it is taken. The campsite reception or warden often manage this but on smaller sights this isn’t the case.

What do pitch fees cost?

It really depends of course on what sort of campsite and when. A remote farm type site with few facilities such as a toilet and shower is going to be a lot less than a Haven style site near a beach with club, bar and swimming pool. Typically smaller sites are anything from £10 to £20 per night whilst bigger sites are up to £100 per night. We always suggest budgeting around £35 in the summer. On the continent there are lots of locations known as Aires where you can stay. There are lots of Aires guidebooks on Amazon.

Can I travel with fresh water on board?

Yes you can. Just be mindful of the additional weight. Also, if the tank is less than full, the load becomes ‘dynamic’ in that it moves around and could affect the vehicle’s stability on bends.

When I arrive at the campsite pitch do I drive on or reverse on?

A question we have been asked a few times! It really is entirely up to you. Consider the following: which side the habitation / caravan door opens. Open out onto the widest part of the pitch. Consider the view. Consider the gradient of the pitch. The motorhome generally sits lower on the front axle meaning when parked it slopes down toward the cab. This can be addressed with the levelling ramps we provide but you can also offset this with a pitch gradient.

Does the motorhome have fresh water?

Yes. They all have onboard fresh water tanks from which it is safe to drink. We regularly treat the tanks to keep them clean. Typically a motorhome has a 120litre fresh water tank which equates to about 5 showers. The motorhomes also have an onboard waste water tank for the water that leaves the sinks and shower. This can be emptied over a drain etc. We will explain more detail on collection.

Can I use the motorhome without electricity ‘hook up’?

Yes you can. Our motorhomes all have heating and cooking systems that run off the integral gas. The electricity hook up on campsites means the batteries charge, the electrical sockets in the motorhomes work and in some this includes the TV. It is possible to camp for a few days without an electric hookup just on the battery power.

How long can I stop without electric?

This is known as ‘wild camping’. The motorhome systems are all 12v. So if you stop without hooking up to mains 230v electric everything will still work EXCEPT the mains sockets. The lights, the water pump, the heating and the fridge all work without electric. You can survive like this for several days. Perfect if going to a festival or exploring the wilds of Scotland!

Do the electric sockets work all the time?

As mentioned above they ONLY work when you plug the motorhome into mains. Our top question from holidaymakers whilst away is, “How do I get my hair straighteners to work?” It’s true! For them to work and assuming they are on a mains plug, the motorhome has to be plugged into the campsite thus making the sockets live. There is no magic inverter to create 230v from the 12v battery. We know it’s obvious but it’s easily forgotten!

Does the motorhome have a TV?

Yes, all our motorhomes come with TV’s with integrated DVD players. Some have a tV aeriel or facility to connect one to the outside. But we NEVER promise you can watch terrestrial TV. Getting a TV picture in a remote campsite is becoming increasingly unreliable since the move to digital TV. Therefore, we suggest you set your Sky+ to record your favourite shows whilst away and bring a pile of DVD’s with you.

Do you provide bedding?

Yes we can do. There is a nominal charge. Let us know if you want single or double bedding. We also provide bath towels, hand towels and a tea towel.

Can I dink out of the taps?

Yes. The motorhomes are safe to drink from and we treat the water systems regularly. However, the taste of the water is going to vary on where you filled up. Make sure you always fill up from a safe source of water and that it doesn’t say ’Not for Drinking’ on the tap.

Does the motorhome have heating?


Can I cook whilst driving?

NO! The same rules apply in a motorhome as in a car. You may choose to prepare a sandwich on the table whilst seated and belted in. This would be safe provided common sense prevails.

Do the mains electric plugs work off the battery?

No. For the electrical sockets to work you need to plug the motorhome into the mains on the campsite. We provide the cable to do this. If you are planning to connect up to a house please tell us and we will give you an adapter. We do not recommend using generators. These can cause damage to the motorhome electrics which can get expensive.

How does fridge work when we are travelling?

The fridges work on gas, 12v from the engine alternator and mains. Often the fridge will automatically choose the power source available. We will issue training as part of the handover and instructions in written form are also provided.

Can I take my bikes?

Yes of course. The motorhomes either have bike racks or a garage in which you can store your bikes safely.